Thursday, March 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I have been accepted to the law school at Oklahoma City University and are pretty sure we?


My boyfriend and I have been accepted to the law school at Oklahoma City University and are pretty sure we?
will be attending there. Can anyone tell me about Oklahoma and the best enighborhoods to live in while going to school? Also, are there very many Mormons there? We are LDS and would like to meet other members there. Thanks!
Higher Education (University +) - 1 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I live just a couple of blocks from OCU. The university neighborhood is, to be honest, not the safest or cleanest. You are definitely right to be asking, there are a lot of dangerous blocks in the area. Generally, I would recommend that you find a place north of 33rd St. if possible. There are some large apartment complexes at 30th and McKinley where some students live. These look okay, but beware! It's so dangerous that Pizza Hut won't deliver there even though it's very close. I would consider on campus housing, although that can be a drag when you're married. On 34th St. on up into the 40s, there are some wonderful, large old houses which rent and very low rates. There are many wonderful historic homes and wonderful people here. The odd thing about this neighborhood is that literally you can have millionaires in one block and drug houses in the next. It's usually pretty obvious which one you're in from looking, though. I love the neighborhood if you can't tell, but you do have to exercise some caution. Turn your porchlight on, get to know your neighbors and don't leave anything in the front yard. There are many Asian businesses, including two groceries and many Vietnamese restaurants along Classen Blvd just east of campus. These are very interesting to explore as people from many different countries mix in this area. I don't know how many Mormons there are in the city, but I believe there is a large congregation on the north side. From what I have seen, Mormons are well accepted in the community.