Friday, September 16, 2011

How can I home school my kids?


How can I home school my kids?
I am a Christian and a single mom. I am divorced - it was Biblical, but not going into that because it's not about the question. Anyway, I am a kindergarten teacher and so you probably know what my salary is. How can I stay home and home school my kids and make a living? School is getting so bad. I wrote a question last night about my 3rd grade daughter being sexually harassed. I know it's just going to get worse. There is a home school coop here. It's a great program. I thought about waiting to look at this option when they are in high school (grades 3 and 4, now). I have a friend whose daughter was being bullied so much, she took her out of school. Now, she has all her classes online through Oklahoma City schools (even though we don't live there). They supplied the computer, books, and instructors for free. Now, how can I make a living? Any ideas? ** I don't want to hear any negative things about home schooling like lack of socialization. The question is about MY work problem. We don't have a christian school here. If someone ever opens one up, I will be the first in line applying for a job.
Religion & Spirituality - 15 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
And this has to do with Religion & Spirituality how? Parenting section may be able to help you out.
2 :
I don't think everyone should homeschool - especially given your circumstances. Since you are a single mom you will need to provide for your kids materially if your ex is not providing enough. You may want to ask for financial aid to enroll your kids in a private Christian school.
3 :
Get a job. Work nights if you have to.
4 :
You could home school them and maybe work for the co-op or tutor other students.
5 :
You might be able to get government assistance. Depends where you live Move to New Zealand! Anyway, look into that
6 :
See if you can get hired by the co-op to teach some classes. Hire yourself out as a tutor. And, unfortunately you might have to accept the fact that you might not be able to do it, financially. Have you considered other options as well, such as going to work in a private school and enrolling your own children there(many have tuition breaks for their teachers' kids). Maybe that would be a good compromise.
7 :
If you are single and working, perhaps seek out other families to see if you can find one or two that will take your children while you work. I live in Jackson Mississippi and there is a large network of homeschooling parents who help each other.
8 :
Being a mom is a full time job. Then you put home schooling on top of that and you have 2 full time jobs. To try and make a living to support your family on top of all of that and ensure that your kids will get a proper education is a lot to handle. You say you're a Christian, so I'm sure you have faith in God's ability to handle your childrens education in a public school. I am a Christian as well, and don't love the idea of keeping my kids in public school, but that the choice we've made. It's in God's hands everyday. Your kids are going to be faced with the secular world throughout their entire lives. If I were you, I'd focus on teaching them how to stand strong in the name of Jesus in the world we live in, and keep them in school. Besides, how can your kids minister to other children in school if you separate them from their peers?
9 :
work nights if you have to. but you should give this a lot more thought because you still have children to support.
10 :
Since you are a teacher with credentials and training, why not try to get a job at a Christian school where you can also put your children. Surely they will give you a discount on the tuition and you will still have a salary.
11 :
Try the homeschooling section, it's under education. There are parents who have to work, and do the homeschooling during their off-time. I'm thinking your kids are 7-9? Which would make it difficult as to where they are going to be while you're at work more than anything... I would suggest looking into a co-op or Christian charter school for the time being. Contact your local schools, homeschooling groups, and find out what laws there are and maybe you'll find out some more options. Do supplemental teaching, sunday-school classes (and whatever you can get them into), in the meantime. Once they're about 12 you can leave them home alone while you're at work, and then come home and do any teaching that needs to be done.
12 :
Suzi, I feel your frustration! I never did homeschool my own children but I have lots and lots of friends who have. Some business ideas you could do in your own home... Rent out a downstairs to a college kid or two Medical transcription (about a 2 year on-line course) Catering (you'd have to have a partner to deliver) Language Translation (if you know any language very well) English-As-A-Second Language coach to adults or children Reading Tutor... have children come to your home like a piano teacher would Piano teacher (or teach any musical instrument) or something newer in the area of working-at-home... Get all the digital and printed pictures of clients; use Photoshop Elements to enhance lighting / crop / take out excess annoying background people & items; Then organize all their digital photos into folders for easier access.... organize by people, date, or place. You could even organize an "oops" folder for those crazy shots. Then, you'd put them on a DVD and give them back to the owners. You could probably charge like .10 per photo to enhance and organize their photos. This is such a new service! I'm sure if most people are like me, they would have thousands of photos to enhance and organize. Good luck! Your kids are blessed to have you for a mom!
13 :
I do hope and pray for the best for you and your family!!! Is it possible to get an online job for yourself? I don't know what you might be qualified for. Another suggestion is that you home-school several other children as well as your daughter and charge the parents for this. There are also home schools in churches where there are teachers and assistants and this might work better---you'd have to think also about where the kids are going to go when school is over and the parents are taking a long time to get home from work, but the one at a church (or someone's basement or large house, etc) might have a good solution.
14 :
I have a friend who was a single mom of four and homeschooled. She worked lots of nights and was tired alot. But her kids grew up fine and got the homeschooled education they needed. It was hard on her, but they got through it. Anything worth having is worth the hard work. As they get older, it gets easier, because they can independently study more. I use A.C.E curriculum. I have three I am homeschooling, and work part time. I'm blessed to have a husband who works hard.
15 :
Please contact me @ www.FloridaHomeschoolHelp.com I LOVE homeschooling did it for 13 yrs with my son - Now in college. I can help you get started. Call me. Grace